Church Restoration 


Crosskeys  Church

Drumavaddy Church

Mass Times

Weekly Newsletter

Church Restoration 

National School

Resource Centre

Community Centre

Local Organisations

Useful Links

Parish Personnel

Contact Us

Major restoration work is now completed on St Mathew’s Church, Drumavaddy. The last time any extensive work was carried out on the church was in the years 1957 to 1958.  It had in recent years fallen into disrepair with rising damp causing floor boards to rot, leaks in the roof and stained glass window buckling and breaking due to storm damage over the years.  All the external doors needed to be replaced.  A huge transformation has taken place. And the church was rededicated by Bishop Leo O’Reilly on 24 February 2013.

St Matthew’s Church, Crosskeys, which was built in 1839 has been restored.  Major work was carried out on the Church and car park, beginning in late June 2007. This work is now completed and there was great joy and celebration when the Church was re-opened  on Sunday 20 July 2008.

The work carried out on the Church included a new roof, new floor, new windows, and extended sanctuary area, the addition of a sacristy, belfry, toilets and car park.  The beautiful stained glass windows were donated by the Sisters of Mercy, Ballinamore, as their convent was closing.  Three new stained glass windows behind the altar were created by  William Earley, a stained glass artist.  His granduncle, of the same name, had created the other stained glass windows c.1918 for the Mercy Convent in Ballinamore, Co. Leitrim.  William Earley’s daughter, Jane, tastefully restored the stations of the cross and the statutes. Joe Sheridan installed all of the stained glass windows.

The marble work was all done by Donald McDonald from Kilkenny.  He dismantled  the original marble reredos and side altars, cleaned them and carefully rebuilt them.  He also built the new ambo, altar, presidential chair and baptismal font and supplied the beautiful centre-piece for the altar depicting the presentation of the child Jesus in the Temple .  The sanctuary floor is made from Carlow limestone.

The old bell, which was made in 1843, was restored and erected in the new belfry.  Extensive car parking was developed along the road. 

The church was rededicated by Bishop Leo O'Reilly on 7th December 2008.

Crosskeys Church Finance Committee pictured with Bishop Leo O’Reilly at the rededication of the church.  Back row:  Connie Smith, Noel Reilly, Fr Liam Kelly, PP, Patrick Gaffney, Declan Tierney, Tierney Ferguson & Seamus Donohoe.  Middle row:  Maura Keogan, Thomas Smyth, Seán Tierney & Martin Cahill .  Front row:  Tommy McNamee, Beatrice Gaffney, Sheila Smith, Bishop Leo O’Reilly, Maura Smith, Marian Connolly (Sec.) & Michael Kane (Chairperson).